20.12.06

SingNet Saga, a TRUE story (Arg... Singnet internet connection getting bad)

Oh gee... During the time when I wanted it to be good, it never turns out that way (except on late June). The poor internet connection makes me wonder if all the information downloaded actually passes through a thin wire which is 1mm thick. Singnet, happens to be... one of those few PAID services that upseted me. I didn't want to go to tech support. Why? They would reply with a standard answer: "Okay, we will send someone down there to check on it (the modem)". The worst of the internet connection was last year, where we had a 6 day downtime on the internet connection. The reason? Someone apparently hacked into the sysem and changed the password. So far, the only person who knew the password and WEP key is my father. After much negotiation, the problem is eventually solved... much later.
The next series of downtimes occur on July, 2006. It seems that the internet connection was suddenly going on and off at random intervals during the day. By then, my father had given me administrative access since I use the internet most of the time. I had to reset the modem when the connection was horrid. I kept manual downtime logs for future reference (and proof to SingNet/SingTel). My father noticed the problem more and more, since he was unable to access his email. The problem lightened up on late October, when my father changed the password once more. We cannot keep logs on who is accessing the internet connection, since we do not have a router (my father do not want to buy one I could offer to set one up, but do not have the equipment (another computer that has to be on 24/7) to do so). The internet connection is so bad, that it seems as though the internet connection in the school is 7 times better (which it is [a download there have a download speed of over 300KB/sec, while at home, the average download speed at that time was a measly 42KB/sec]).
Prior to December. and after September, the internet connection is hovering around the 0.5MBPS range (moderately slow). The internet connection speed stablelized. This was until December, where the connection speed appears to drop after the 7th of December. It worsened until it was a hassle to open my mailbox (at Gmail), access blogger, access whatever webpage. Most webpages were loading half-way. Even the Google main page can load halfway through (quite unusual, since the main page is one of the most lightest webpages online). Not long, it became a hassle to wait for webpages to load in minutes, and sometimes, its just irritating to find that the webpage just loaded halfway.
I really want my father to switch the ISP (internet service provide) from SingNet to Starhub (which may not happen in the near future). At the moment, my father decided to signup to another internet service, the well known "wireless@sg", free internet service that will be used actively next year, 2007. The arrangement (the contract that my father signed) lasts for 3 years, and will cost $0.00 (that is the "free" plan, not the "premium" one).
Personally, I do not support that plan. Why? The maximum connection speed is 512KBPS (0.5MBPS). The current service Singnet is providing to us is 11MBPS. If we are struggling with a connection speed that is supposed to be over 20 times faster than the "wireless@sg" plan, how fast would the connection speed that "wireless@sg" provide be? Oh..., and, the best part is? SingNet/SingTel is part of that programme! Oh gee.... *Sign*

No comments: